Studies show that many of today’s workers spend a lot of their time surfing the Internet. If you are one of these people, you are probably wasting time and costing your employer money. Many businesses are cracking down, and many Internet surfers are being shown the door.
How People Waste Their Time Surfing the Internet
The Internet is extremely popular due to the many benefits, especially to those with online businesses. Nowadays, you will see people browsing the net frequently. Do you think that this is a good thing? Well, the Internet has its advantages, but it presents some disadvantages as well.
Starting with its advantages, the Internet is similar to a library where you can find almost anything you need. It can help you get the information you need for a specific purpose. For instance, you need to research a particular project in your school. All you have to do is input your keyword, and you will obtain many results for it. Whether you need information about entertainment, education, or sports, you can get it through the Internet.
Furthermore, the Internet also offers various services such as instant messengers and social networking sites that allow you to communicate with your friends or relatives. With these things, you can say that it offers numerous advantages. However, the Internet also has another side to it.
Symptoms of Internet Addiction
- You continue to spend a lot of time on the internet, despite signals from your surroundings and your awareness that this is not good.
- You no longer get around to doing the things you consider essential. School/work, relationships, and social contacts suffer because of internet use.
- You neglect your health and personal care.
- Because you spend a lot of time on the internet at night, you get a lack of sleep, and you become physically less fit.
- You suffer from physical complaints such as dry or burning eyes or RSI.
- You are restless when you cannot use the internet: you only think about the internet if you are not online.
- You have withdrawal symptoms such as anxiety, irritation, and irritability.
- You are ashamed of your frequent internet use.
- You lie to those around you about the frequency and time you spend on the internet.
If you think this applies to yourself or someone you know please consider professional help.
Internet Addiction vs. Drug Addiction
Internet Addiction Will Waste You Your Precious Time
The Internet makes some people decadent. You can clearly see this in many students who use the Internet to play various games and easily become addicted to it, leading them to neglect their school work. Many lack self-control. You can observe many students who play games all day till night and forget about their school projects, work, and assignments. In the end, their grades drop, and they fail their subjects. What’s worse is they will not be accepted in college due to their low grades. Although the problem may start as a simple one, its consequences should be well thought out to avoid even bigger problems in the future.
With this, you can say that they are just wasting their time surfing the net to play the games they are addicted to. Getting addicted to the Internet can also lead one to neglect his or her responsibilities. For instance, if one surfs the net all the time, they may forget that an important task is waiting to be done. This, in turn, could result in one getting fired from or having additional work. As you can figure, getting addicted to the Internet is not a good thing as it can negatively affect one’s life.
In general, the Internet is a good thing as long as you know how to control yourself. You can find various forms of entertainment online, but you should be careful not to get addicted to any of these things, as this can lead you to neglect many other significant things and persons in your life. Keep in mind that anything which is done more than average is not good. With this, you should know when to use and when to stop using the Internet to avoid wasting your time and suffer its adverse effects on the quality of the life that you are living right now.